Jun 4, 2010

laundry

no this is NOT shredded cheese !
in the 90ies i was hit by some nasty allergies for which i had to take daily medication for 8 months (before we found out where it came from) : the laundry powder i had been buying for years was proved responsible for it : i guess they changed something in the chemical formula on the way. my immune system was so badly affected by all this, that my body remained very sensitive leaving the door open to other allergies (dust, mold, pollens) and 15 years later, some days, life is a little too challenging... besides, when i calculated how much money was going into laundry detergent, and that the sensitive skin brand i used did not provide any eco refill, the idea to make my own grew on me. after surfing the web for "recipes" i went for this one :

150 grams of (marseille) soap
a handful of (i think in english it is called) borax, aka cristaux de soude in french
2Tbsp (*baking* thanks gwen !) soda
stir in a bucket with 3 liters of boiling water
& add a few drops of the essential oil of your choice



i'm starting this morning... we'll see if my laundry comes out clean enough ! have any of you ever tried ? or do you have a better no-fail-recipe to share ?

23 comments:

  1. Amazing how simple this recipe is! Do tell if if works :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to know how this works out. That savon de Marseille is brilliant stuff! My son has eczema and this soap suits him well. I have the beige one. I think it has peanut oil in it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, sounds interesting. I am just encouraged to be more greener and thinking of sustainable alternatives to a lot of the chemicals we use daily. Let me know how it works out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. but it *does* look like shredded cheese :)
    no, i have never made homemade laundry detergent ~ it is a lot of work, bravo to you for all your hard work

    ReplyDelete
  5. +marzipan+June 04, 2010

    Looking forward to knowing how this turns out!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohh, looks good, let us know how it works out.
    I definitely have been thinking of making some

    ReplyDelete
  7. Soulemama (I think?) was just blogging about this! It's something I really need to do. I could buy it at the farmer's market in Austin but can't find any good stuff up here. I am definitely going to try it now that you've inspired me. How were the results?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmmh l'odeur du savon fait à la maison me fait sentir très fraîche, et tes photos sont extraordinaires :)
    Bisous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this sounds wonderful, can't wait to hear how it works out for you.

    does "soda" mean soda pop or baking soda?

    ReplyDelete
  10. and, yes, it is borax in English.

    ReplyDelete
  11. tiens nous au courant!
    moi aussi je suis une boule d'allergies et puis l'idée de moins consommer et d'agir pour l'environnement, c'est carrément top!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh that is such a good idea. I eager to see how this experiment ends.
    Hvae you tried soap nuts? They sell them in finland all the eko shops and they really work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. quelles jolies photos! je n'ai jamais rien essayé de tel. Je suis curieuse de connaître ton opinion.
    bonne lessive ! :)
    p.s. j'avais des problèmes à laissé des commentaires sur certains blogs, mais c'est réglé maintenant. Heureuse de pouvoir commenter ton blog à nouveau !

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am sorry you have to suffer various allergies - I sometimes react to detergent - but have had good luck with the organic Germany brand "Frosch" (frog!) I think there is a version of it in France called "cat" (go figure!)
    I absolutely adore the photo, Valerie! It would look pretty in a nice frame in my laundry room :) Ever think about selling your photos in your boutique? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Les photos sont tellement jolies qu'on en mangerait de votre lessive ! :)) Dites nous si le résultat est à la hauteur de vos espérances car mon mari a pour deuxième prénom "Atchoum"! ça peut donc nous servir ;) Et félicitations pour cette ecolo-hypoallergéniquo-initiative !

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow, good luck! I must give that a try one day, it looks good too:) those allergies sounds bad, good that you found out from where it came from.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hope the recipe worked - it sounds good :)
    and hope even more that those allergies are going to stay a thing of the past
    besous

    ReplyDelete
  18. ps i meant to tell you, i do sell the postcard set. send me your email and we can chat about it.... oh and dont forget your postaladress xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this!
    My husband's skin is so incredibly sensitve, we usually use expensive stuff.
    This seems like such a better way-thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. yes! i´ve tried this. and your shots are just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Brilliant idea - I've never tried!

    ReplyDelete
  22. il y a quelque temps j'avais essayé les noix de lavage mais sur les vêtements des enfants le résultat n'était pas toujours à la hauteur ... ta recette me donne envie d'essayer

    ReplyDelete
  23. AnonymousJune 10, 2010

    I have never tried this. I hope we hear how you like it! We often wash with Seventh Generation non-chlorine bleach (strong peroxide) only and find that clothes come out feeling softer, with no soapy coating that some laundry soaps can leave behind. Otherwise I use a biodegradable, all natural liquid laundry soap.

    I am so sorry to hear about your allergies, and the origin of them. The detergents are getting more and more crazy, full of chemicals and toxic fragrances.

    ReplyDelete