Oct 27, 2010


because it is too hard for me right now to email individually the nice ladies (you know who you are !) who were kind enough to email or flickr mail to express their concern, support, friendship... this is a public update =
we had very bad test results for L. showing an almost certain diagnosis (& we're hoping for not worse) of type 1 diabetes (although not to be found in our extended families). and the second batch of tests today indicated she was at a level close to a diabetic coma. she's always been healthy with no sign of whatever, only sudden weight loss & unusual thirst this month.
she will be admitted in emergency tomorrow morning to the children department of our main hospital for insulin IV (& more tests) for a few days.
i will be away for a while, and although i may feel like posting when a new routine has been found in our home, i won't be taking any kind of committment (challenges...etc...) here on the blog, during the month of november and maybe until the end of the year.
also, if you live with a child suffering of type 1 diabete, your testimony is welcome & appreciated. if you want to keep this private rather than posting a comment, please email me bysierramoon [at] yahoo[dot] com
a big thank you to everyone who has sent some support via the previous post.

45 comments:

  1. That is really sad news! I hope your little one will soon be on the mend and especially now you guys have a diagnosis you can look forward to making her feel better again x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to read about your daughter Valerie. She is in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear this. Hope her condition improves quickly now that she's being taken care of. Lots of good energy to L. from Copenhagen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear your news -- I will be thinking about you and your daughter and sending all good thoughts to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Valerie now that you know what the problem is you can take care of it. L will be back to herself soon, maybe with a few changes in routine, but she'll learn to cope and she will be dancing on the beach again, sooner than later...she will!!
    Know that we send our love and support and will wait for you patiently.....look after yourself too....stay strong and positive....
    lol ♥♥♥♥
    M

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Valerie...such a tough time for you all. I'm sending good thoughts your way.

    My niece has type 1 diabetes. She's just started on a pump & it's been wonderful for them. I'm sure my sister would be pleased to offer any advice.

    Lots of love to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. valerie! i am so sorry to hear this! but i hope more testing will show that it isn't what you fear. i will keep you all in my prayers and especially pray for peace of mind through all of this. take care. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you guys Valerie. At least now you have a diagnosis and it's a treatable condition. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear of your difficulty. I will email you too, I know a fair amount about this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry to hear your news, but hope that now you have a diagnosis the path to health can begin.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness. I am so very sorry to hear this news. You all are in my thoughts and prayers.

    Much love,
    Lecia

    ReplyDelete
  13. en lisant tes mots j'en suis toute retournée ... je t'envoie de douces pensées

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so sorry to read this, but I'm glad a diagnosis was reached in time, and that with the proper care your daughter can now grow to live a normal and happy life. Sending warm and healing thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry to hear this, Valerie. I was really hoping that it would be something simpler. I hope that the diabetes can be easily controlled at least, and that she'll be feeling well again soon. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Dear Valerie!
    my thoughts and prayers are with you! i am glad you discovered it now and hope that all will work out alright for your beautiful daughter!
    lots of love xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sorry to hear that. I hope that the tests results show nothing worse and that she's doing much better shortly. Take care,

    ReplyDelete
  18. Valérie, je suis désolée d'apprendre ce qui arrive à L. J'espère de tout coeur qu'avec un traitement approprié elle va aller très vite mieux. Je vous envoie plein de pensées positives et vous embrasse très fort!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Valérie je souhaite de tout mon coeur que ta fille se porte mieux. Une fois le diagnostic établi et le bon traitement elle va récupérer très vite. Lille pensées réconfortantes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm sorry to read all these information... I was away from the blog area these days.
    I hope you find the strenght to support her in facing this illness.

    My father suffer from diabete and I have a friend who has a child with diabete in her class. The feedback is quite the same: the most important (and sometimes it takes quite a long time) is to learn how curing the diabete (insuline and so on)...

    I send you all my love if it may help you and your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  21. How sad to hear about your little girl. I hope things will work out better for you as you go through this period. Big hugs and lots of hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Toutes mes pensées vont vers vous 3!
    Je t'embrasse fort en espèrant que d'ici quelques temps ça ira mieux.
    Je t'embrasse.
    Ravie de t'avoir vu mercredi...même si c'était rapide.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh dear, I'm so sorry! If it's any comfort at all, and I hope that it is, I know a woman who has type one and has led a healthy and active life. She is very disciplined about her diet and other lifestyle factors which seems to make all the difference in the world. Sending prayers and lots of love your way my friend, xox.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh I'm really sorry, I hope she'll be fine soon!
    I have a friend who has diabetes and she can now eat anything she wants, she carries a little box with insuline and a syringe and just uses it after every meal, she can live quite normally.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Valerie, I'm so sorry to hear this! But it's so great that they found out what is wrong with her health so quickly - now they can give the best possible care to your daughter. You and your daughter are in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, Valerie... I am so sorry to hear that news is not good. Or at least not good right now for your daughter. But she is in the best hands right how at the hospital and will receive the care she needs to get well again. A uncle of mine has had type 1 diabetes since his early 20's when he became ill, much like your daughter has. But with care, mindful diet, exercise and daily insulin, your daughter will live a wonderful live again. Be strong in knowing an positive outcome is possible. :o) Just so very glad this was caught in time to fix. Please know very much that your daughter and your family are in my thoughts & prayers at this time. ((LOVE & BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  27. ... Pas de mot pour une telle douleur...
    J'ai une petite L. aussi qui semble être du même âge. Pffff...
    On vous envoie des millions de pensées là, tout de suite.
    Et on vous souhaite que tout s'arrange.

    ReplyDelete
  28. je pense bien a vous trois ,si tu veux parler tu connais mon numéro ,l'école reprenant tu auras plus de temps
    bonne soirée
    bises
    france

    ReplyDelete
  29. Valerie! I missed this post and I am feeling so bad that my wishes to you are delayed. I am really sorry to hear this news... I am sure it's a lot for you to digest. L is certainly in good hands, having such a caring, proactive mother. I am sure you will be the best support for her. I hope she is feeling better soon and that you are able to find the right treatment for her to have a great quality of life. I am confident you will. All my love to the three of you and know you'll be in our prayers.
    xo, jenny

    ReplyDelete
  30. bonsoir Valérie.
    ma maman est diabétique depuis que nous sommes enfants ma sœur et moi. Je me souviens très bien de l'angoisse des résultats, des craintes que ce ne soit que le symptôme d'un mal plus grave.
    ce n'est pas facile d'autant plus pour une jeune fille comme L. C'est une maladie très injuste et qui survient brutalement
    Il faut cependant savoir que les traitements évoluent sans cesse et sont surtout de plus en plus ciblés et "pratiques" pour les malades.
    Ma maman vit de manière tout à fait normale (les injections sont notre quotidien et on ne remarque vraiment plus son rythme un peu "à part")

    Je vous souhaite beaucoup de courage et je pense très fort à la jolie L. et à vous.

    ReplyDelete
  31. always better to find out what the exact trouble is. i hope you can feel a little relieved that the mishap carries identity, for, and i dearly hope that too, help is at hand in the hospital.
    i wish you all strength.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Une pensée pour toi...

    ReplyDelete
  33. Will be keeping your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  34. oh ma bichette.... prend soin de vous . Je n'en dirai pas plus ici car c'est trop impersonnel, mais je t'appelle demain. Bisous

    ReplyDelete
  35. Dear Valerie,

    You and your family are on my mind and I really, really hope that things work out in the best possible way for your beautiful daughter.

    Take care...

    Lots of hugs and thoughts,
    Ulla XX

    ReplyDelete
  36. My heart sank so deep...I missed this post....was not aware.....listen....it is so important to keep positive and believe with your heart and soul... all will go well...love to you Valerie XX

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh dear, I'm so very sorry to hear this. Sending {{{hugs}}} to you, your beautiful daughter and M.
    Thinking of you all x

    ReplyDelete
  38. My younger brother was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at four years old. As a family, we changed our ways, learned to embrace it, and now he is a thriving 38 year old man with three children of his own.

    It is tough now, but you will get through it, of thst I feel sure. My thoughts are with you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  39. You are what you eat!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzdhBo4pbgE&feature=share

    Please check this link. I hope it can help you.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh Valerie, I'm so sorry. I'm sorry I'm late on discovering this news, and I'm sorry you're going through it with your beautiful girl. You just never know what life is going to throw at you sometimes.

    Sending big hugs.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  41. Valerie, I'm sorry to read your news. Sending you all hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Dear Valerie, You and your family are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  43. oh... je viens de lire....
    vous êtes dans mes pensées!
    affectueusement.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hi...I just happened upon your blog. I have to tell you my two oldest daughters have Type 1 diabetes. My middle daughter was diagnosed at the age of 5 :( but she is 20 now and very healthy. I just know the heartbreak and the worry you are feeling...I have been there. I am sorry, but, although, this will definitely change your life it will be okay. You will learn to deal with all the challenges and there will be days you won't even think about it. Again, I am so sorry...I wish more than anything we had a cure and that children would be spared from this forever more. I am sure you have a fantastic Diabetic Support Group in your community...they can help so much. My girls enjoyed going to Diabetes camp and becoming counselors when they got older. Look for all those wonderful resources when you feel up to it. All my best wishes....Mary

    ReplyDelete
  45. Dear Valerie, I'm just learning this terrible new... as though a hammer would have knocked on my head...
    I wish you more and more courage...
    Carry on dear Valerie.
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete