Dec 3, 2010

it's beginning to look a lot like...



with the diabete diet, diabete grocery shopping, diabete medical appointments, diabete supplies & refills to get... and all this snow (still there !) calling us outside, i've been so short on craft (& computer) time !

as an advent calendar, i made some 3D kraft paper bags -- simple tute here, not hard to figure duh ! --  on the evening of the 30th using some hemp string & fabric scraps so my girl can't guess what's inside from the shape ! paper snowflake making will be one of the activities hiding in one of the little bags... i don't go too wild as for christmas decorating anyway and believe a few happy touches here & there are enough to make it seasonal. this year some red & white, glass, paper, metal, felted wool...
it would make my day to read how you guys are decorating this december, if you do & are willing to share... ??? any special craft project on the way ?
enjoy your weekend & see you next week !



oh, and i just want to remind you -- because i'm sometimes asked about this -- that words with a larger font are links & also that i usually reply in the comments... and please ignore the dirty windows in the sun on the last photo !!

35 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. not just the diabetic diet/grocery shopping, but the GF one, too, so your days are very occupied. those are great paper snowflake making links (already added one to my tumblr).
    enjoy opening the advent calendar gifts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking lovely and just like Christmas x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salut Valerie! Je m'excuse pour mon francais, mais je veut essayer de vous repondre en francais! J'adore tes photographes! C'est drole de voir tout le neige en France - j'habite a Montreal (avec les hivers tres froids) mais on n'a pas encore du neige.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We made paper snowflakes a couple days ago. Well, I ended up doing all the cutting. It was too hard for the girls! So they drew on the snowflakes. We are getting our tree tomorrow, but otherwise I won't do a lot of decorating -- just a few pillows and soft things the baby can't break! Your decorating looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These images of your home are so warm and beautiful. I love the red, gray and white, and those corduroy pillows - I want to make some now! I like your idea of decorating with useful, comfortable items.

    I haven't had a stitch (ha, pun intended) of time to do any seasonal decorating yet. My beau hung some white twinkle lights downstairs and some colorful ones in my studio and mom sent a wreath, and anything from me will have to wait.

    I love your advent calendar. Have fun between the busy Valerie, and hugs to you and your girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so beautiful in there! Warm and cosy..and so nice that you have snow too! Although I guess everyone doesn't think that way:)

    And I LOVE your calendar! So simple but stylish and beautiful. Lisa is lucky girl! Did you have hard to figure out what to put in those bags? I did..:)

    And hmm..this is the first xmas in 6 years that we're spending at home so I really don't have any decorating-traditions. I've put some lights over one window and over one mirror,some baubles on a glass jar..and later we'll get a christmas tree. But I want to keep it quite simple!

    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love your Christmas decorations! The combination of white and red is so pretty.

    I'm going to spend the Christmas at my childhood home with my parents, so I'm keeping all the decorations quite simple at home. Just a light star in the window, some Christmas tree decorations on a plate and lights on the balcony.
    At my childhood home we always bring in the Christmas tree on Christmas eve's morning and decorate it. Candles, lights... Everything traditional. Perhaps I'll put some photos on my blog during the Christmas time :)

    Great weekend to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. C'est tout mignon. Et ce calendrier: craquant.
    Happy to see you back, it might means that it's a little better...

    ReplyDelete
  10. It all looks so lovely Valerie. I love simple things that "speak" softly! I wish for you and your family a better December, a brighter December and a happier December... hope the snow stays as long as you enjoy it and spending time outside makes memories of fun times together.
    Oh and the dirty windows...they just give everything a "glow"!! We all have them. mucho amor!!! M ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Très jolies photos et douce ambiance... J'adore tes coussins rouges et ton calendrier de l'avent. J'aurai moi aussi un petit champignon dans mon sapin cette année (je l'ai acheté cette semaine)... Bon dimanche à toi.

    ReplyDelete
  12. moi aussi j'aime beaucoup tes photos. et j'adore ton commentaire sur la saleté de ta fenêtre. Je n'aivais pas remarqué. c'est comme ça chez moi aussi.
    Bon retour sur la blogosphère !

    ReplyDelete
  13. c'est tout mignon et toujours aussi chaleureux
    bisous
    a très vite

    ReplyDelete
  14. coucou
    l'anonymous, c'est Régine !!!!!!!!!!!
    bis

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love red and white! Most of my decorations, for the tree, are old glass ornaments, like birds and fruit etc, so there are lots of old glass colors. I like to buy one or two items a year to add to the mix. I don't like a lot of clutter, but I like it cozy.
    I keep seeing that it is snowing in Paris, and I remember the two Decembers that we lived there it snowed. All the locals kept saying, "this never happens here!"
    Hope you aren't too snowed in. Did you get my box in the mail yet?
    Hope you are all well, especially L.

    xo Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  16. Je suis très hereuse que ta fille est bien au fin, que tout est beau là, bien s'il neige et vous êtes isolées.
    J'aime bien la decoration de ta maison, tout est blanc et brillant, il y a beaucoup de lumière là!
    Et oui, j'ai una photo où je sors avec mes cheveux curts, cette fille qui porte la robe verte dans mon dernier post c'est moi, et j'ai les cheveux curts comme ça...un peu plus longs maintenant.
    Si ça ne te dérange pas, je te prie que tu me parles en français parce que je pourrais pratiquer un peu :)
    Gros bisou!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lovely girl...

    It all looks so lovely and christmassy...it's kind of hard to create that effect here when we are chugging our way through intense summer heat already - not a favourite of mine at all...

    I'm with you...just a few touches of Christmas dotted around the place is all that's needed...

    xxt

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your blog are wonderful and I like it to read it, because your are writing interesting things. And I love your photos, they are gorgeous. The colors are great too.

    wish you a nice christmas time

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, Valerie! Your decorating is so elegant and so festive! Only just getting to Christmas now... We're just lately back from a two-week Thanksgiving/USA trip--had wonderful time! I'm slowing getting to visiting and such though, as I've not been feeling too well in recent days--but getting there. Great to be catching up with you and back in blogland. Hope your lovely daughter is doing better now. :o) Happy Days ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your photos are always such a delight! We are having a very red & white & gray theme this year - the snow that keeps coming is just perfect! Warm wishes to you and your family xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Très joli comme toujours....
    Plein plein de courage à Lisa et tous les 2!!
    C'est vraiment pas facile!!!
    Je t'embrasse.
    A bientôt.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sonia : merci ! oui c'est vrai que le rouge est la couleur joyeuse de décembre par excellence. il m'avait manqué l'an dernier !

    saganaga : two diets are time-consuming indeed, yes ! i have to figure out tumblr : is it possible to post some comments & interact with you ? thank you for the love in the mail my friend xo

    woolf : thank you for the support LOL !

    One Flew Over : trying, trying ! thank you !

    Lina : merci ! et c'est parfait le français ! je te souhaite un joli Noël blanc et merci pour la recette !

    amy h : snowflakes are fun, but your daughters are still a bit young to do it without mommy's help ! L. is 11 and she was able to do all the cutting by herself this year.
    we have glass ornaments in the sitting room where we cats are supervised ! on L. she has paper & plastic ones the cats can't break ;)


    abby : more lights are good in the dark winter ! yes i'm a bit practical, maybe due to my allergies i try not to collect too many dust catchers ! i couldn't find any of this cunky corduroy this year... i'm sure it would look so pretty in your beautiful home; does your Mom send you a wreath each year ? so wonderful !

    Niina : thank you ! I'm sure this (different) Christmas will be a success too, you're such a warm loving person you'd make it pretty anywhere anyhow !
    how i love your calendar ! great job !
    our daughters are not the same age range but i mixed activities like snowflakes cutting, going to the movies, clothees making for her future Blythe... with a small amount of candies, a couple of bath tablets, little coins, cheap scrapbooking stuff, hairpin, a cute ring, a pocket mirror...
    i had planned them from october not to go in any rush, but i made the little bags on the 30th of november at the last minute !
    xoxo

    Malla : I'm sure it is beautiful ! you have such good tastes ! the way you spend Christmas with your family is the way we use to spend it when I was a child. I was raised by my grandparents, and the only thing I regret was they were not keen on the tree and had only a couple of dusty decoration. Maybe the reason why I like a nice tree nowadays !

    ReplyDelete
  23. Pascale : merci ! oui on ajuste comme on peut. en espérant que la vie devienne un peu plus facile et retrouve un peu de son naturel par la suite...

    Marylin : thanks for the "glow" ;) the snow stuck on the ground for 6 days ! which seldoms happens and we were crazy happy ! the Paris area got some more today and the traffic was all in a mess !

    Elsa : merci ! je les avais trouvé chez Casa, une p'tit boite de 4 tous rangés gentiment comme des sardines ! peut-etre nous montreras-tu ?!

    nathalie et cetera : merci pour ton indulgence -- je me sens mieux !! LOL et toute la gentillesse dont tu fais preuve. à bientôt sur flickr et/ou ton blog, tes photos sont toujours si belles...

    Régine : tu m'as bien fait rire !!! contente de t'avoir vue lundi soir en si bonne compagnie ! merci encore pour les chocolats et le joli bols !

    Elizabeth : you were lucky then ! come back & in Brittany so we can have more snow (it seems you're a snow fairy, aren't you ?!) I have no doubt that your home is cozy at Christmas, you make everything so pretty all the time !

    laméditerraine : promis ! j'écris enf rançais à partir de maintenant ! et je suis allée voir ta jolie robe verte ! xoxoxo

    1/4 of an inch : thank you xo
    I sometimes forget about it ! but I can remember when I was a teen and saw a picture of some people celebrating christmas on the beach wearing bikinis, it seems as another world to me ! I 'd like to experience this once ! But I must say I've always dreamed of a white Christmas (but never happened in this area !)

    Kristin : thank you ! very kind of you ! happy Holidays to you & your family too xo

    Tracy : thank you my friend ! I'm so glad to hear you had a wonderful time there ! I thought of you ! I've just emailed you today... please get well soon and see you on your blog xoxo

    Karen : so we're christmas twin sisters this year ?! you create such pretty things ! I hope you post some of them on your blog ?! You have much better chances than us for a white Christmas ! I heard they had big sonow in some parts of Germany, too ! happy Advent to you & keep in touch !

    1001 Anges : merci belle Karine ! je n'ose pas te proposer un atelier couture à deux d'ici Noël, car ton planning est probablement chargé, mais peut-etre en janvier qu'en dis-tu ? je t'embrasse xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oooo Valérie, ça fait si longtemps... j ignorais que ta jolie petite fille avait des problèmes de santé. j'espère vraiment qu elle va bien. Et toi ? tes photos sont magnifiques, ton calendrier de l avent superbe et tes décorations, si simples soient ,elles sont ce que je préfère. elles apportent un air festif et douillet.J'aime la simplicité. Je t'envoies pleins de bisous du canada. xxx
    monique

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love seeing your Christmas decoration!

    I will show you how we have decorated this year as soon as I am able to take photos in day light. This year most of our decoration will be in red & white... with some hint of green and nature.

    ReplyDelete
  26. i agree with everyone´s comments! warm hugs sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your pictures are always enchanting to me, they carry such a peaceful, quiet and cheerful atmosphere :)
    oOoh and your advent calendar is so sweet! Merci beaucoup de partager ces instants magiques :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my, your blog is just full of absolutely gorgeous photographs!! x

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just wanted to comment on the latest post -- things you want to remember -- such a beautiful glimpse into a magical time!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Bonjour--- I have only put up a bit of blue lights and begun tentatively making some "meadow fairy angels" from gourds and found field grasses, etc-- but am SO inspired by your beautiful blog--- just had to write and say thank you. bisous, Elizabeth
    www.mysticvixen.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Bonjour Valérie. Si tu toruves du temps, j'ai un petit quelque chose pour toi sur mon blog aujourd'hui...

    ReplyDelete
  32. Chez nous aussi les champignons ont pris place sur le sapin

    ReplyDelete
  33. i'm having holiday fun too: flower arrangements, tree decorating, knitting, wrapping. love this time of year so much! and i even think the dirty window is pretty somehow! must be your photo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Ton blog est vraiment magnifique! Les photos sont remplie de magie!

    ReplyDelete