Apr 5, 2011

corner view :: time ::



my wrist : watch-free. it's been 12 years.
the little wooden clock a reminder of my childhood where it was cuckoo-ing, every hour or so, in my grandparents's kitchen.


 
time. such an open theme.
i was thinking "today" as opposed to "yesterday". time does not stretch, time is what you make of it.  i hear a lot of trying to catch up, catching up, don't have the time...
did people have more time in the past ? they just did less activities in one day. and it was natural, not a permanent dissatisfaction, a frustration.
no internet either.
you see where i'm coming to ?!
i was little bothered by an "online something" this week & i came across this awesome beautiful post  just when needed (besides i love murakami).
time will be my guest quote for april (right column)
thank you dorte who has posted beautiful mediterranean photos & for more corner views (and maybe a scoop of lemon sherbet) please visit francesca

21 comments:

  1. Thank you for pointing me to that blog post. Sometimes I try to scale down in my activities and then funnily it feels as if I've achieved more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for your comment. i like hearing others' opinions !
    I'm not surprised by this, indeed. that's what I feel too !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time is going to go by, no doubt. I have found though, Valerie, that I can slow it down. I can slow it down by noticing and declaring what I have noticed, wether it be by a photograph, a post on the blog, a note in my journal, a poem I write, or a meal I make great efforts on. I notice that you do this as well - all of the time. I like that about you. I think your family cherishes that trait of yours. It comes through clearly on your blog, which is why I am always coming back for more. Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just peeked at her blog. I love it! Thank you my friend for sharing a bit of your "time". I love your the first photo. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your quote, as it is a perfect reminder that one has to use it wisely.

    I too have gone through a rather serious check of how my time is spent and why there is just never enough time to do everything I want to. Indeed, T's post hit the nail and am glad you're wondering about the same too. To be honest with you, I have reflected so much about my life about 10 years ago and back home in Malawi, where things were quite simple and internet/tv was not involved. Now, it seems like much of life happens around the computer/internet and I wonder why much isn't accomplished in a day??? So, I am consciously cutting back on these modern trappings that eat my time and simplifying my life so that I can enjoy the little things that are meant to be enjoyed in life...!

    Good to visit you today...and I send my love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Less activities in one day
    Yes, I remember how my grandparents lived.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, people did have more time in the past. They had more future time because some things hadn't happened yet.

    We have more past time (history) than they did. More dates to learn in school.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, a cuckoo clock - that's funny. :) I have not seen for a long time.

    I have a feeling that we save more time by technology ect. and so the less time we actually have.
    The Internet is stealing a lot of time, but ... it also brings many interesting and beautiful friends. The one without the Internet does not necessarily know has learned. That everything has two sides, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice quote. Did you see Tania's corner view on time? She thinks along your lines. Off to check your link!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have this funny that time is accelerating. For all of us. Not only because of the internet, but because we're heading towards a new dimension of some sorts. Can't describe it properly, sorry.

    Love your cuckoo clock!

    ReplyDelete
  11. C'est effectivement avec notre "histoire" que nous mesurons le temps qui passe. Dans mes souvenirs, un coucou donne le rythme et me renvoie à des goûters enchantés chez une amie de ma grand-mère... C'était doux et le temps semblait s'écouler lentement !

    Et... petite précision, Le Sang des cerisiers paraîtra en octobre.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carolina : your words are always so profound, and go straight to my heart every time. you read me through : i like slow !

    Joyce : thank you ! yes I went today (my timetable is too full on Weds) & you're right !

    Lucy : we're totally in sync. I'm learning each & everyday and working on it. I'm glad of what I have achieved so far. I didn't know about your background, but it must have mad your life very "rich" xo

    Theresa : to me it is definitely something to keep in mind & learn from. adjusting it to our own time of course.

    Don : that makes sense ! :)

    Li + Belle : I'm with you about this !! alll the talent in this is to learn how to find a balance. some people nowadays have to see a counsellor or get a divorce due to internet addictions ! that's crazy !!

    Francesca : I visited her today yes !

    flowtops : I know what you mean... I feel it, too. and there's no word to describe it I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oops dear Ötli your comment & my replies crossed !

    alors on a le même genre de passé :) ?! et je trouve que c'est bien d'avoir vécu ça... j'ai choisi d'en prendre une part dans ma vie d'aujourd'hui. pour que ma fille puise en quelque sorte y gouter aussi.

    FELICITATIONS ! alors je ne m'étais pas trompée ? je suis fière et contente pour toi d'apprendre cette nouvelle, et compte moi aprmi tes lectrices, sans faute xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. You would be considered a very hip person here in the States, as no one under the age of 30 wears a watch anymore. I love watches and timepieces though and always feel a bit naked with out my favorite watch :)

    Love the paint color on the wall in your first picture!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm absolutely with you in your ponderings on time! It sometimes feels as if the internet is like a little monster eating up a lot of my lifetime! ;o) I try to reduce my computer-time when it makes me feel uncomfortable and bores me, but there are days when it's still fun and then time isn't wasted! Also stopped wearing a watch every day, only for important occasions or as some kind of jewelery.
    The strange thing about time is: the less you do the more time seems to slow down in passing by!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Elizabeth : you made me smile !
    I didn't know this ! for me it is the contrary I can't stand anything tied on my wrist ! and I'm not sure I would think of having a look on it anyway ! but it doesn't mean of course than I don't think some watches can be beautiful & a pretty accessory to wear !
    The paint color is a kind of greyish pale pink, very muted. can't rememeber name & brand. it will have to go when we renovated the entryway but i'll try to find a similar since they say pink is a color that make people feel welcome :)

    tanïa : yes we think alike !
    I have noticed that some internet acquaintances, like bloggers, seem to be resentful (I'm not kidding I had some signs again this week) because I don't visit them often... this is stupid to me because it is not personal, just me trying to find some balance in my daily life !!
    As I just said to Elizabeth, I'm so not used to wear a watch by now, that it feels physically uncomfortable to have one at my wrist anytime !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Le crochet est sublime j'aime bc les couleurs

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your time quote and thoughts about time. As you describe time today (less time) and yesterday (more time), I think it has something to do with priorities too - how and on what do you want to spend time on. Many people today have somehow more time to choose what to spend time on I think.

    Oh, and thanks for the link to the back to basics post :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well, you can tell that I'm way behind on my blog reading lately. I seem to be one of the few people left that still wears a watch as everyone else just uses their cell phone to check the time.

    I was just wondering the other day about the rich ladies in the 1800s, who were expected to spend their time sewing, reading and playing piano etc. Would that get boring or would it be nice to have so few ties on your time? I always have to try to steal time to squeeze in things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  20. UK lass in US : so I am ! I have decided that internet would "steal" my real life time and that I would remain my own master. I'm on the way of stopping feeling guilty... it requires a certain amount of work on myself though.
    And actually i had the same thought not so long ago, and to me so few ties it would be ... Heaven !

    ReplyDelete
  21. oops... would NOT !!!

    ReplyDelete