:: my creative space ::
the weather has been dark & stormy all day. candles were on even daytime & i drove to town to pick up L. at school under gusts of wind & rain. the kind of day when you need to make it cozy, a warm cup in your hand, and some comfort... like going to choose our christmas tree ! so, we came home with our tall new guest, and L went right away to the lounge door to discover the advent calendar 2011 & open the first little package.
like every year i mixed different things, for more fun. in this one there are 8 chocolates (quality chocolates are no evil to me !) 1 lollipop, 10 experiences (to go & see the christmas lights in the prettiest village, some favorite baking, a free voucher i had for the iceskate stadium, a hot chocolate in town with mommy...) and 5 little gifts (lip balm, hair pin, a tiny candle-holder...). i used/re-used things like kraft paper, toilet paper tubes to wrap the little gifts (so she can't guess from the size of the packages what they are !!) hemp twine from a fleamarket, old wooden digit print blocks with a white inkpad and ... a big branch that ideally fell down in the yard and candle on the cake, was already dry ! the pretty tag shown here is by otchipotchi.
there will be more simple homemade decorations in the lounge, some paper balls (paper doilies) were added to the windows and we'll decorate the tree soon -- although it is beautiful standing like this, in its green coat only -- i'm still crocheting some snowflakes (thank you jeannette) for it and want to make at least 6 of them...
some more creative spaces here and please leave your link in the comments if you have posted about an advent calendar, too, so i & everyone can go see. thank you & happy december



What a lovely idea for an Advent Tree. So much more personal than anything I have seen before. Thanks for visiting my blog. I think Rudy will be up and about by tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteFiona x
what a beautiful advent calendar! just wonderful! made me smile at the end of a tough day :)
ReplyDeleteSuperbe idee Valerie, j espere que tu vas bien ainsi que ta petite famille...
ReplyDeleteBises
Virginie
Lovely advent calender really.
ReplyDeleteI wish you a good day
xx
maria
What a stylish idea. I am thoroughly ashamed of the chocolate monstrosities at mine and resolve to have something homemade for next year.
ReplyDeleteWow! Superbe calendrier de l'avent! J'aime bien les emballages craft, je suis jalouse de ta fille haha! Effectivement il a fait nuit toute la journée d'hier...
ReplyDeleteOH Valerie, Advent is so beautiful at your house! I love the white stamped numbers on the craft paper and the branches, so lovely and calm and perfect with the dolly decorations. Happy Weekend & enjoy your DD opening the little packages! xo K
ReplyDeleteso wonderful!
ReplyDeletecan you explain me how you made this paper balls? I would like to make them myself too. Have a nice weekend!
ReplyDeleteSo pretty. I am still getting around to decorating!
ReplyDeleteSo nice Valerie, good idea!
ReplyDeleteYour advent calendar is so beautiful. I love your use of kraft paper and white, such lovely soft tones. The little treasures and gifts inside sounds like a wonderful idea. x
ReplyDeleteThe only thing i feel happy about these dark and rainy days is the fact that i love my home even more. It's cosy and protective against all from outside. I love your advent tree idea. And also the beautiful window decoration. Paula's work is incredible. I have things from her too.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your sweet comments lately.
Hugs, Pauline
oh this is so wonderful! love it!
ReplyDeletewish i could come and open a packet too ;)
beautiful all around - you combined creativity, magic, beauty, repurposing, celebrating into your calendar. I love the experience gifts. I also love your paper balls, and will immediately make some too!
ReplyDeleteI'll be posting about our advent calendar later on, and come back to leave a link.
So lovely, Valerie... everything... and just love those paper doilie decorations. Happy Advent ((HUGS))
ReplyDeletehere's ours
ReplyDeletehttp://www.fuoriborgo.com/fuoriborgo/2011/12/our-advent-calendar.html
thanks Valerie!
Toujours aussi beau, ton petit intérieur de Noel ! Bravo et à bientôt
ReplyDeletebisous
Your decorations are so clean and natural. I love it! The gifts sound like fun, especially the ice skating. :) Happy December to you and your family!
ReplyDeleteI love anything made with kraft paper or doilies! Our advent calendar is the same one we've had for the last four years which I made just after I started blogging:
ReplyDeletehttp://linaloo.typepad.com/linaloo/2007/12/better-late-tha.html
Have a great weekend!
LOOOOVE that advent tree so much. I made a fabric advent calendar this year and am loving seeing my little girl's face each morning when she delves into the pocket. Am going to add the 'hot chocolate with mummy' activity to mine too. So sweet x
ReplyDeletepure magic!
ReplyDeleteyou've just reminded me of the fact i did go and miss making an advent calendar (just for fun), yet again!
i think i'll just stare at all them goodies elsewhere (and here!) from now on and keep on dreaming...
n♥
I love your advent tree! I was going to fill my advent calendar for Catilin, just for fun, and I haven't yet :( I will do it today though, and she can go back and open more than one :)
ReplyDeleteAlthough we do not celebrate christmas, I really like the coziness of your pictures!;)your little garlands are beautifuland and the otchipotchi-stuff ;)is great!
ReplyDeleteJenMuna
I love the garlands you have here! simple and cozy!
ReplyDeleteLa classe ce calendrier de l'avent... le mien c'est celui des playmobils...
ReplyDelete!-)
this is so pretty and creative ... i don't put up mine this year as we are in the middle of some renovations work that involves most of the house.
ReplyDeleteYou don't know how much you inspire me!
ReplyDeleteso very cool! thank you! :)
ReplyDeletethank you everyone !
ReplyDeleteand a special thanks/merci to you Francesca, Lina & Pascale for sharing about your Advent calendar !
Moose @ the forest : I guess photos will "speak" more than words as for tutorials so here's a similar that you can use to make paper doily balls :
http://tatertotsandjello.com/2011/04/guest-project-make-hanging-fabric-doily.html
Great idea for the advent calendar!
ReplyDeleteTrès joli et poétique, bravo!
ReplyDeleteHello Valerie,
ReplyDeleteHow are you? I work for IKEA Live magazine and spotted the photos on your blog of your lovely living room, while I was researching homes in France. I was wondering do you have any IKEA in the other rooms of your home please? Might you be interested in being in the magazine please? If so please get in touch - my email is kate.herbert-smith@augustmedia.com
Many thanks,
Kate