May 30, 2010

have a cup with me !

this sunday was mother's day in france. it was a rainy, windy, cold weekend. and i had the perfect gift, one i had been dreaming of for months, to stay cozy & enjoy this time with my family. however, what made my heart melt & my eyes water, and will certainly remain a fondest memory was the little kitty puppet that L. crafted for me in secret this past week : she drew a pattern on paper, chose some linen in my stash, cut it, stitched it, added buttons, filled it with polyester, wrote & rolled a little love message in the front pocket, and handsewn it. all by herself. wow. so proud of her ! her dad said : "see i told you your mom would prefer that one even better". this makes me wonder this evening about the influence we may have on our children. what will they remember from their young years, how will they put the family values in use, what will remain from the everyday teaching, is our role as parents even bigger than we think ?
wishing you a ...
:: happy mother's day ::

12 comments:

  1. it looks & sounds like you're having a special mother's day ~ the hand sewn kitty is adorable !

    ReplyDelete
  2. une belle fête des mère... la relève est assurée!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how cute little kitty! Maybe in some years I'll get something like that from my girl too:) Can't wait for it! And thank you so much for your nice words! Maybe I shoud start writing in english sometimes..I only wish I would write it a bit better..:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What your children remember will blow you away when the time comes to reminisce with them as adults!!! I have two grown men...and very little of the things I feel guilty about(!?) have stayed with them. They remember the good more than the not so good...as I am sure we do too.
    The present your daughter made for you is so precious....she has her mother's talent already!!
    Hope you have nicer weather next week. we have heat and humidity and it isn't very nice ....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, both great gifts, but I'm with you, I almost died when I saw that cute handmade cat L made. Caitlin makes me cards every year with fun illustrations and stories inside. I have all of them, and they always make me smile.

    Happy Mother's day!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember when we were kids, my mother always said that handmade cards is much more valuable then from supermarket. And every mothers- or fathersday, we children made the card ourselves. It was fun.

    Cat is very cute. I love the little letter that the cat has in her/his? pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  8. happy mother's day valerie!
    hmm, we never know- but i can tell you that you have certainly installed the right values in your daughter already! what a precious wonderful beautiful gift! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband and I were just talking about this. My belief is if you live with passion and purpose, your children will find their own in their own time. What a gift to be a parent! Happy French Mother's Day to you, Valerie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you everybody for your nice words & wise thoughts...

    i hope we can all help our children make this world go round a little better because some days i'm not so sure it's going in the right direction :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. AnonymousJune 02, 2010

    oh my Valerie, your daughter's gift is amazing. As I observe and spend time with children these days, what stands out the most is how powerful it is for them to have healthy examples. To truly show, teach, enrich a child's life, is to give them examples to live by. Examples of kindness, honesty, clarity, strength, creativity... to really live to one's highest ability, with total honesty. To try to teach with words goes only so far, where to really live those words, and express, is so powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. J'aime le petit cadeau :)
    Merci beaucoup pour venir dans mon blog et pour l'avoir lu et commenté, ça me fait sentir un peu plus importante jajaja

    Je pense que tes fils vont grandir justement en accordance avec toutes ces choses que tu leurs as montré et donné. J'ai vu pendant cet année que l'education que mes parents m'ont donné me fait devenir une petite femme un peu plus rationale aujour-d'hui.
    Gros bisous et merci!

    ReplyDelete