Aug 14, 2010

by the water

several fellow knitters meetings this week. malestroit. séné. nathalie, isabel, france... thank you !
life at a slow pace
first plums from the yard
a (now) teenager who slipped to waist line into the river by accident. i thought it was funny. she didn't.
a rare sunset amongst cloudy days

on the list for the cool & rainy weekend to come :
8 meters of (hand) binding to finish my beach blanket
a few last rows on a baby alpaca scarf for a friend before i wrap it
a GF blueberry muffins experiment
more crocheted bows
and please i'd like your opinion... take it as a poll !
a long weekend in winter. we don't know any of these three.
where would you go : oslo, helsinki or vienna ?


:: happy weekend you all, soak in the sun for us if it shines where you are ::

22 comments:

  1. Vienna would be my first choice but my husband worked in Helsinki for a few months and said it was lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh,sounds lovely! And so peaceful..well,maybe not that part when your daughter fell in to the water:) And I love that picture with her legs and shoes on a platform! So pretty.
    We've got two plum trees in our yard too,but I guess they are still raw.

    And hmmm...It's really hard to pick on city! I myself would love to see Vienna and Oslo too,'cos I've never been there..but as a Finnifh I guess I should say come to Helsinki:) I think it's a nice city,but it's so hard to say wheter somebody else likes it or not..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your wonderful site. Your photography is astounding. The only city I've been to of the three is Vienna. I had a wonderful if brief visit there many years ago and have vey fond memories of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never been to Vienna or Oslo, so I guess I have to say Helsinki, also because I´m Finnish :) Altough, I´m curious to travel both oslo and vienna. I think no matter wich one you pick, it´s going to be fun trip.

    Beautiful pictures, so calm and serene. Especially the last picture of plums is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures again, my dear!!! Slow days sound good and you just need them every once in a while.

    I've never been in Vienna or Oslo, but have even lived in Helsinki for a few months and I think you would like it there. Although I think my choice would be Vienna :)! Just to get little further from here. But if you come to Helsinki... I make sure to meet you down there!!! I'd love that!

    Take care and enjoy the rest of the summer. It's so warm in here, still... I'd love a cooler weather... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I'd be more than happy to give your Oslo tips! ;o) But honestly Oslo in winter is not the thing--it's gray, too much snow & slush...blah...LOL! Oslo is great in summer though! I've been longing to go to Vienna myself. Not been there either. A winter trip... that is a good idea. Now I'm dreaming too! Happy Weekend ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone !

    Caz : welcome here !

    Well, it is still hard to decide !
    we may have to draw a city at random ;)

    memmu : this would definitely help me choose !

    Tracy : well, i have to tell you something : we are strange people ! because we're looking for snow & cold weather indeed (what we don't have at home !!) hence the choice fo these 3 cities !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Je suis jamais allée en quelque de cettes trois cités mais j'ai beaucoup d'envie de visiter Oslo. Une amie a été là et elle me disait que ça c'est très beau.

    J'aime tes photos, elles sont très douces et ce bateau est juste perfect pour una soirée tranquile :)
    Bisous et merci pour nous donner cette vue du monde si belle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Valerie, I was in Vienna a long time ago, on Interrail, so my experience then may not count, but I remember it being very cultural, as well as having lots of delicious chocolate cakes in cosy cafes. I was in Oslo briefly on the way to Bergen one summer, and I did not have the chance to explore the city properly, it may be just as cultural and have yummy cafes.
    Not been to Helsinki, so can't say anything about that, but I believe it also has lots of culture.
    when do you plan to go? asking because the snow might vary, depending on when you are travelling.
    liz

    ReplyDelete
  10. My instant answer would be Vienna - I love cakes! But I would probably have to pick out of a hat if pressed. I went to Finland years ago in December and the snow was fabulous.
    Thanks for popping by my blog - re crochet flowers question - I will probably use these ones to decorate a calico garland to sent to my niece in London. I was to going to put them in my daughter's craft box, but have thought of something more meaningful. I think my niece will be delighted.
    Have a lovely week. I LURVE your blog!
    Carmel

    ReplyDelete
  11. magignfiques photos une fois de plus ! je veux cette péniche !
    je ne connais aucune des villes que tu mentionnes,. ah! trop difficile de choisir. je ferais une weekend dans chacune :)
    et merci pour tes commentaires sur Flickr. c'est toujours un plaisir de te lire.

    ReplyDelete
  12. La Méditerraine : je prends note ! Oslo : one point !! j'espère que Brighton se rapproche pour toi également... danse bien !!

    Liz : thank you ! some people on flickr told me bergen would be much nicer than Oslo, but we chose these 3 cities because we can reach them on easy cheap flights. we would like to go in late december. but... there's Limerick to come before !

    Carmel : a garland would be very pretty ! I'm sure she will enjoy this ! my own daughter asked me for one ! Vienna sounds to have quite a few votes !! but I would go for the chocolates as Liz said, not for the cakes unfortunately because I have to be gluten-free :(

    nathalie et cetera : je t'emmènerais où elle était à quai si tu veux et on demandera au propriétaire que tu y fasses un petit séjour ?! ;) oui j'aimerais bien les 3 of course !! mais l'an prochain c'est sûrement Venise et on a le droit qu'à un seul choix par hiver ! hihi
    Sinon je t'en prie tu sais bien combien j'aime tes photos !

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never been to Vienna or Oslo, but I have heard so much good about them.. but being a Finn I guess I must say Helsinki:-) and also because I love that town!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Je ne connais aucune de ces trois villes mais je serais très attirée par Oslo ou Helsinki. Une fois de plus je me délecte de tes photos, le ponton et les prunes sont extraordinaires!

    ReplyDelete
  15. As a Finn, I guess I also have to say Helsinki! I like that city, there is plenty to see. And the athmosphere is lovely too.

    I really, really like these photos! So peaceful and beautiful. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Joli blog, très belles photos et merveilleux après-midi.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your photos and the descriptions of your happenings. I hope your clouds have gone away!

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh i dont know! i love vienna in winter especially if its pre-christmas- the christmas market is beautiful. was in oslo in summer, and loved it. always think it will be freeeezing there in winter.
    but i think helsinki clearly won! my, you got a lot of finnish readers ;)--- let us know where you went and pls share the photos
    talking bout photos, i love these! looooooove them
    ps email me your adress!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Je dirais Vienne mais les 3 destinations sont tentantes (je viens de discuter avec une amie qui rentre de Budapest, elle était emballée et veut y retourner très vite, elle a même préféré à Prague)

    ReplyDelete
  20. thank you friends for your help !
    i think we've made up our mind by now. to be continued !

    L'Atelier : I did ! but it seems you didn't receive it ? I'll get back to you again. merci !

    Isabelle : non non non je n'accepte pas d'autres débauches :D ! le choix a déjà été bien difficile pour ne retenir que trois. répondant à divers critères dont prix - horaires de vols - infos/résas faciles en ligne - probabilité de couverture neigeuse... les deux citées étaient aussi en ligne ainsi que Cracovie.

    ReplyDelete
  21. bonjour ma chère valérie ! ça fait si longtemps. j espere que ton été est merveilleux, même si la saison tire à sa fin. j ai passé un très bel été, bcp de voile et de soleil et maintenant retour dans mon studio, une montagne de travail qui m attend. je penses souvent à toi en espérant que tu vas bien. ♥
    monique xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very Pretty photos. I don't know any of the 3 cities...

    ReplyDelete