Sep 19, 2010

when it's gone


this weekend was so special because it's been the first in several weeks without painkillers & without the pain.
i know the pain will probably be back and there are still meds to take, that there's least but not last a complicated jaw surgery to schedule in a larger city, but for now i am able to savor the simple joys of life and it makes a huge difference.
during this sunny weekend i was able to go clean the flowerbeds & think autumn planting because i can bend over again... to paint the last pair of shutters because moving my arms to sand them didn't cause to hurt the left side of my face... to watch a full movie with my crochet hook because there was no pain to interrupt my concentration... to go for a walk in the woods & pick a large basket of pinecones because i can just l.i.v.e. and enjoy it !
not much would you say, but it feels almost strange to be pain-free, it's been so long that i had forgotten the feeling...


i made these popovers yesterday. so simple & yet a fancy snack with some nutella, or jam, you may substitute cow milk for coconut milk, or why not try a savory version with cheese... here's the basic dough recipe (to which i added a hint of nutmeg & cinnamon) :


:: POPOVERS ::
1* in a large bowl mix 1 1/2 cup flour with 3/4 tsp salt
2* in another bowl mix 3 eggs with 1 1/2 cup of milk
stir 2 into 1 and do not overbeat
place 1/2 teaspoon of butter into each cup of a muffin tin, heat in oven until melted
take it out and fill each cup 3/4 full with batter
bake until golden brown about 20 minutes at 425°F/200°C



L & i had a look in my fabric stash & we selected a few fabrics to take part in the winter kid clothes week challenge (you may have seen the button in my right column). we decided that what she needed the most this Fall is a couple of tunics... therefore i want to commit & sew one hour every evening.... and we'll see what can be done by the end of the week. if you have babies/children/teens... you can still come & play along !
have a lovely autumn week xo

22 comments:

  1. Oh, Valerie - this post really hit me...

    I'm truely happy that you have been able to enjoy being without pain. And still it makes me sad that you have to experience this kind of pain at all.

    The way you have described all the different things you could do again, is so fantastic to read about. I hope that this feeling will stay with you for a long time - that pain will leave you alone. At least for a bit.

    I dream so much of having moments like the ones you have had. Moments where I can do everything I miss doing. All the things I were able to do before my car accident 10 years ago...little insignificant things, which are everyday stuff to so many people.

    I can tell that you know exactly how it feels - thanks a lot for giving me such a fine and painless moment with you. :))

    Ulla XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry Ulla I didn't know you were injured that bad in an accident.
    My left foot had a bad double fracture two years ago. It changed my life forever for the worse. And yes pain is not unknown to me.
    Thank you for your sympathy, your understanding & sharing your experience and wishing you more of life's simple pleasures
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you were able to enjoy the weekend, it looks like you made the most of it.

    I'm going to make those popovers today - they look so delicious x

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay ! i'm so happy for you :) hoping the pain-free days are many

    can't wait to see what you sew... i'm sewing, sewing, sewing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. one flew over : thank you ! they are very good, quick & no-fail !

    saganaga : have you started yet ?!! will you be sewing for your boys or your little princess ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really is the simple, little things that count! Happy you are feeling a.l.i.v.e....hope the pain stays away.... (I have back pain....and it's wonderful to have a good day!!!) but this is your joy...so do what you feel comfortable doing....and I am sure you will get the sewing done....can't wait to see it!
    nice to see so many posts!!! I just l.o.v.e.
    coming by for a visit!!
    "Je t'embrasse"....gently, so as not to cause you pain!!!!!! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. je suis heureuse que tes soufrances t'aient laissé un peu de répit ce weekend et j'espère que cela va durer longtemps.
    ces petits choux sont craquants!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A nice recipe, I'll try it out very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Valerie,
    I have been thinking about you these last few days, and I have been wondering how you have been. Funny thing, for the past three days, I too have had minimal to no pain in all the areas I have been having troubles with. My back is going well, and the hip is fine. I'm on the treadmill now and trying to go at least four times a week. It sure does feel odd to not feel that same old pain where it normally is.
    I hope you are well.
    I sent you a little something yesterday, so look for it in the mail :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh My Goodness Valerie. Your poor thing. Glad to hear you are making steps in the right direction and were able to pick up the crochet hook again. I crocheted from Sydney to London last week. Thank you for tip toeing through my blog and leaving sweet messages. I will be watching to see your sewing. I'm all a bit on hold whilst in London, catching up with everyone and looking after my Dad.
    I wish you well and hope the road is only forwards from here.
    Carmel
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to read that you've been hurt!
    These little cakes look delicious :)
    Take care of yourself and have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad you were able to enjoy the weekend...your photos are beautiful...nothing like a bit of craft therapy and yummy food to soothe the soul. Take care of yourself, xx Tam

    ReplyDelete
  13. J'espère que ces souffrances seront vite un mauvais souvenir ... mille mercis pour la recette de tes petits choux que je vais tester très vite ...

    ReplyDelete
  14. So very sorry you've been in pain, Valerie... Hoping very much you will be feeling better soon. Sending you much get-well wishes & ((HUGS))... and thank you for sharing lovely recipe. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so sorry you've been living with so much pain. I hope for your continued healing.

    Thank you for this delicious recipe!! xox

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad to hear that your pain eased up. Those popovers look very tasty - I really shouldn't read blogs when I'm hungry...

    ReplyDelete
  17. My gosh, I had no idea you were in such pain Valerie! I can't express enough how happy I am to hear that you are pain free right now. Such a joyous feeling to come out of long term pain, and be able to enjoy such simple things in life again. Big hugs and I wish you the best with the surgery.

    Can't wait to see what you make for L. I wish I had a mom like you to make tunics for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so happy for you! That you could do all those things you haven't been able to do in a long time..it must have felted so good. And I guess beeing really sick makes you realize how wonderful life is.. and what things are really important to you.

    Those popovers look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Valerie,
    The images are gorgeous and I can only imagine what a joy it is to indulge in such simple pleasures. I am glad you are in less pain, and i do hope it will continue to be so. Warm thoughts of you during this autumn season!

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh dear, i didn't know you were having a trial with pain. i'm so sorry! but very happy to hear that you are having moments of being free!

    the fruit and basket photo is beautiful, and those popovers look so wonderful! i wish we could share one over tea together :)

    xo.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Deareast Valerie
    its been a long time since we chatted... way to long and i am glad you well and said to read that you werent! missed so many wonderful posts- due to Mr.O's illenss, travells and working... now i am back round here and will enjoy reading your blog (all the missed and future posts!)
    much love
    besous

    ReplyDelete
  22. thank you thank you thank you !
    i have the best readers in the world !!!

    ReplyDelete