Apr 19, 2012

homemade



when i look back on the few photos taken this past week i realized i've spent most of it in the kitchen. mind you, even if we're on a spring school break here, it's been such a rainy & cold weather there's nowhere else to go anyway. satisfying ? certainly. but i won't deny that after a few days i feel the need for & miss some outdoor exercise.



i have to tell you that i had a revelation.
the no knead dutch-oven bread.
oh my. of course it is not a new recipe, but i thought success was only on the photos i saw here & there online. no ! i met my very own success, even though it was in a simple pyrex cocotte. because i use 2/3 of whole flour, i let it bake 10 more minutes and tadaa... husband & daughter blown away !




also on the kitchen table, L. long-time request, a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. no hazelnuts in the house, i used almonds instead. this recipe is just perfect, moist & has the right amount of spices. i cut on the frosting amount, used confectioner sugar instead & in a smaller quantity than the sugar required.

another kind of homemade waiting for me next week... the kcwc 2012 !

29 comments:

  1. Oh que c'est bon tout ça ! Et beau !

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmmmm so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. bread and cake both looks beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inspiring! I feel like baking now. And sewing next week. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the bread looks so yummy and also pretty in your pictures. I think I might need to make my favorite bread this weekend, too. And I need to try yours too, but wonder about the size of the bowl. How big would it need to be, in litres, can you give any estimate?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh... that bread looks so good!!! As well as the carrot cake... I also made one last week with my best recipe and I just love it! I could try that one too though. Can't wait to see your next project :)!

    Have a lovely weekend... we're longing for warmer weather. It was still snowing the other day :(... so please, send me some warm breezes, soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would happily try yours as well :)
      there should be a letter in the (snail) mail to you by the end of the week xo

      Delete
  7. Je découvre ton blog, et j'aime beaucoup beaucoup! Je repasserai...
    Je n'ai jamais tenté le glaçace sur le carrot-cake, il faut que je teste ça.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. merci, je crois que c'est Delphine (?) je ne suis pas sure mais je connais un peu ton blog par Camille, et j'ai toujours été touchée par la situation de ton fils. Comme tu le dis si justement la maladie d'un enfant c'est la maladie de toute une fille ... on connait nous aussi.
      Juste une petite précision ce n'est pas un glaçage sur ce gâteau mais un frosting au fromage type philadelphia et c'est ... bien meilleur !!

      Delete
  8. ta recette de pain me donne bien envie d'essayer vu le beau résultat que tu as eu !
    ton gateau est superbe !!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow that looks all so good! and thank you for the recipes, I tried the no knead bread as well, it´s great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ton pain est magnifique et le gâteau a l'air délicieux, vous avez dû vous régaler ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Homebaked bread...yummy. And the carrot cake with frosting looks so delicious.
    With recipes; thank you.
    Good idea. I'm going to bake a cake on this rainy sunday afternoon.
    Hugs, Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  12. après avoir vu tes photos de pain sur flickr, j'en ai fait un. C'est si bon et si facile! et ce gâteau aux carottes, s'il est aussi bon que beau, il doit être excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. je suis bien contente que tu aies pu constater par toi-même ! ;)

      Delete
  13. Pour les avoir goûtés, je confirme que ton pain et ton gâteau à la carotte sont excellents !
    Huuummm !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. merci mon poussin . j'ai bien vu que tu les aimes
      et moi aussi je t'aime très fort :)

      Delete
  14. thank you ladies for visiting & posting suc ncie words although I'm still not much online. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Valerie.
    yes it is not a new recipe but after yours i will try to make my own.

    so happy to read your blog every time

    Katerina FF
    Greece

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoyed your baking time, Katerina !

      Delete
  16. Hello Valerie - I have already gone and printed out that carrot cake recipe! I have tried various versions over the years...but from your description and photos this one sounds perfect! I'm very in the mood to bake right now :) Am also very curious to see what lovely things you have been sewing! I will stay tuned - big hugs, xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Karen -- thank you for your visit. I hope it was successful :) I had tried another one many years ago but it was not as moist as this one. And I think I didn't make a cream cheese frosting. This last one really completements in the best way the carrot cake. big hugs back to you !

      Delete
  17. Mmm!!!! Looks wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, it WAS good ! tomorrow I'm going to bake some red velvet cupcakes for a friend at a flea market, with this same cream cheese frosting :)

      Delete
  18. That blue Liberty fabric is delicious!! I'm sure L is going to look beautiful in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Elizabeth. I managed 3 pieces during the week, but given the weater it is hard to plan some photos with L. in them...

      Delete
  19. How had I missed this post?! I've been waiting impatiently to find a new one so this is a nice surprise. Your recipes are as gorgeous as your fabrics so thanks for sharing. I have never tried carrot cake with almonds on top but it looks simply wonderful. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  20. very nice of you Emily :)
    as I said I didn't have any hazelnuts in the house, happy accident because it is very good with almonds, I may choose almonds from now on, indeed !

    ReplyDelete